Bicycle Repair Stand: Buying Guide
Bicycle Repair Stand Buying Guide
There Are Several Ways To Acquire A Bike Repair Stand ...
- Make Do - with bits and bobs from around the garage - a cheap but often frustrating road to travel.
- Buy A New Or Secondhand One - this is my personal favourite as I am time-poor and absolutely rubbish at building things that are suppose to ACTUALLY work.
- Make Your Own - a fantastic option if you know your way around a tool kit, have time up your sleeve and want to save some dosh. There are plenty of DIY recipes out there in cyberspace for you to follow. Click here for more DIY Bicycle Repair Stand Info
Things To Consider When Buying A Stand For Bike Maintenance
OK so let's assume you are here because you are like me - and are more interested in buying a bicycle repair stand than constructing (or fudging) one of your own.
Well ... what do you need to know before you take the plunge and part with your cash?
Because - believe it or not - not all bike repair stands are created equal.
You need to do your research and consider what you are going to need from this bicycle stand.
I've posed a few question below to help you cover your bases.
My list is by no means complete so please expand it with your own ideas!
- How much do you want to spend?
- Which type of stand suits you?
- Which features are essential? - Desirable?
- Which type of bike will you use in it? - Road, MTB, kids, BMX, Comfort, Townies, Electric etc?
- Does the workstand you like, adjust to suit a variety of different types of bikes?
- Have you tried various models to find which one actually works for you?
- Do you prefer a tripod frame or a frame with only two-feet ?
- Does it have a sturdy construction?
- How big is it? - Is it heavy?
- What is the height adjustment range? Is it variable?
- Can angles be adjusted too?
- How portable is it? - How portable does it need to be?
- Is the model you like - durable and stable?
- What type of clamping mechanism will be suitable for you?
- Is there good padding on the places that contact the bicycle frame?
- Does the bike need a strong clamp or is it supported by the bottom bracket?
- Which type of clamp is suited to your bike?
- Does the clamp diameter adjust to fit all frame tube sizes?
- Have you read REAL people reviews of the different models? What is the workstand's reputation like on the forums?
- Is your choice of workstand, renowned for breaking parts? Find out.
- What other accessories are included - ie a magnetic tool tray?
- Do you have room for a stand? Where will you store it?
- Does it need to fold away or be permanently fixed? - And keep in mind that folding does not necessarily mean portable!
- How easy is it fold and unfold? Does it need an Allen key to dismantle?
Questions To Ask And Answer ...
Accessories & Storage
Think about it. Research it. Ask questions.
There is nothing worse than a BIG dose of Buyers Remorse ...
Popular Bike Workstands
Ultimate Support Sport-Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand
Approx US $160- $170
Spin Doctor Pro G3 Work Stand
Approx US $220
Park Tool PCS-10 Home Mechanic Work Stand
Approx US $170
Mighty Rack Mighty Hang-It Bike Rack
Approx US $54
Nashbar Stand By Me
Approx US $13
Approx US $200
Park Tool USA PRS-15 Pro Race Stand
Approx US $330
Park Tool USA PCS-9 Home Mechanic Work Stand
Approx US $100-$120
Park Tool PCS-4 Deluxe Home Mechanic Work Stand
Approx US $270
Ultimate Feedback Sports Velo Cache Freestanding Rack
Approx US $130
- Delta Matisse Portable Bicycle Quickstand
- Elite Race Workstand
- IceToolz Bi-Stand Repair / Display Stand
- Inline Folding Repair Stand
- Kettler Profi Bicycle Workstand
- M-Wave Universal
- Marwi Professional
- Minoura SS-600
- Minoura W-3000V
- Minoura W-3000B
- Minoura RS-5000
- Minoura RS-6000
- Minoura W-400 Gazzy Stand
- Minoura RS-1500
- Minoura W-3100
- Nashbar Basic Repair Stand
- Nashbar Workstand
- Pedro's Folding Repair Stand With Bag
- Park Pcs-9 Home Mechanic - Pcs9
- Park Pcs-9 Home Mechanic
- PCS-10 Home Mechanic
- PCS-4 Deluxe Home Mechanic
- PRS-15 Professional Race Stand
- PCS-12 Home Mechanic Bench Mount
- PRS-20 Team Race Stand
- PB-7 Repair Stand and Truing Stand
- PRS-4OS Deluxe Oversize Bench Mount
- PRS-3 Deluxe Oversize Single Arm
- PCS-4 Deluxe Folding Consumer
- PRS 21 Lite Team Race Stand (Park)
- USA PCS-4 Deluxe Folding Consumer
- USA Deluxe Home-Mechanic
RAD Cycle Products
- Pro Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand / Kit
- Bicycle Repair Stand
- Spin Doctor Quickstand
- Spin Doctor Pro G3
- Spin Doctor Essential
- Spin Doctor Team
- Spin Doctor Race Repair Stand
- Folding Bicycle Repair Stand
- Cyclespider Professional
- PrepStand Pro
- Two Up Tune Up
- Tune-Up Stand
- PrepStand Max
- PrepStand Elite
- PrepStand Sport
- FlashStand Portable Tune-Up Stand
- FlashStand Work Stand
- Support Systems Pro
- Support Sport-Mechanic
- Consumer Repair Stand
- Feedback Sports Sport-Mechanic
- Feedback Sports Pro-Ultralight
- Feedback Sports Recreational
- Feedback Sports Pro-Classic Bicycle
- Feedback Sports Pro-Elite
- Support BRS-80 Professional
- Support Systems RAKK Integrated Bicycle Display System