Different Styles Of Car Bike Rack:
Choosing The Best Car Bike Rack
Different Types of Car Bike Racks
Bicycle Car Racks come a number of different forms ... all with their own individual features and problems.
The most popular racks tend to be trunk mount bike racks ... they are however, not the best type of bicycle rack!
Your Choices Include:
- Hitch Bike Racks:
Hitch bike racks function by suspending your bicycles in a parallel position to your vehicle. There are two different designs available, either the - tray rack or the tube-top.
- Bike Roof Rack
With the Bike Roof Rack you can choose from the fork-mount rack - which give increased aerodynamics and overall stability - or upright bike roof racks, which allow you to keep the front wheel on your bike.
- Trunk Mount Bike Racks
The Trunk Bike Rack system works by utilising a set of adjustable nylon straps to secure the bikes in place. The straps are attached to either ... the top of the trunk lid, beneath the trunk lid or bumper and occasionally onto the edges of the trunk lid.
- Spare Tire Rack
A Spare Tire Rack works by either - having the rack frame fitted around the spare wheel ... or alternatively the racks can be bolted into the hub where the spare tire is affixed.
- Truck Bike Racks
Truck Bike Racks are perfect for space-saving and protecting your truck and bikes from scrapes, scratches and robbers - which does tend to happen when you just throw your bikes unsecured in the back of the pick-up truck.
- Specialty Car Bike Racks
Not all cars models will accomodate the average car bike rack, so there are specialty racks designed to cater for this problem.
A car bike rack is a great way to safely transport your beautiful bicycles without damaging them.
They offer the added benefits of ... avoiding the costly expense of buying a trailer AND the hassle of dismantling your bike every time you need to cart it someplace.
It is advisable to do your research and make sure you to purchase a car-bike-rack that is specifically designed for your make and model of vehicle ... after all the better the fit the safer and more effective your car-bike-rack is going to be.
Think about which style of car bike rack will suit your purposes.
The rule of thumb with bike accessories is you get what you pay for so - if you are going to use them lots and have them exposed to the elements frequently - then it will be worth splashing out for some good quality, easy to use gear.
If you are about to buy a new car and intend to install bicycle car racks - then raise the issue with the salesperson ... you never know, you may be able to negotiate the inclusion of a set of factory-installed bicycle racks into the asking price.
And remember you don't need to do it all yourself. There are plenty of qualified mechanics around who would easily be able to install your car bike rack for you.
Confused By A Lot Of The Technical Jargon?
Have a browse thrugh our Car Bike Rack and RV Bike Rack Terminology Guide
Things To Consider When Buying A Car Bike Rack
- How much money do you want to outlay? If you transport your bicycles regularly then it is certainly worth investing in some high quality bike racks.
- Which type of bicycle car racks suit your mode of transport?
- How many bicycles do you need to carry?
- How long are your journeys going to be?
- Do you need a bike rack that can transport other types of sporting equipment? Check which racks have this function.
- How often are you going to need access to the trunk? (or boot)
- If you buy hitch bike racks and you also do a lot of towing - is this form of rack going to be a pain because you will keep needing to switch between the rack and the tow?
Style Of Rack
- Which style of bicycle will you carry in it? - Comfort, Townies, Road, kids, BMX, Electric, Recumbent, MTB, Tandem etc?
- Can the bicycle car racks you fancy, be adjusted to accomodate a variety of styles types of bicycle?
- If you have a irregular shaped bicycle like some MTB, women's, recumbent or tandems - do you need to invest in more specialized types of racks?
- If you have a irregular shaped car like the VW Beetle, Mini Cooper or an RV - are you going to need to buy a specialty car bike rack?
- Does your car have a tow hitch or roof-mounted utility rack? If it does then - what is its load capacity?
- Is there a spare tire mounted to the rear of your vehicle? Keep in mind this may limit your choice of bicycle car racks.
Quality of Construction
- Are they sturdy and are the construction materials of a high quality?
- Is the rack easy to use? Quick to attach to the vehicle? Will you need a tow-hitch specially fitted?
- What amount of protective padding is supplied ? Will you need to purchase any more?
- How large is the rack? - Is it heavy or lightweight? Will it weigh your car down?
- Can you lift a bike by yourself with one hand, and hold it in position? How high can you lift it? How heavy are your bikes?
- Is there reasonable padding on the places that clamp the bicycle frame?
- What are your security needs? Are the bicycle car racks lockable?
- Do they have anti-sway features?
- Can they pivot to allow free and easy access to the rear of the vehicle?
- Do the arms of the car bike rack fold down, when not in use?
- Are there any extra accessories are included?
- Which features are essential to you? - Desirable?
- Have you considered the benefits of a protective bike cover?
- Have you test-run any models to find which one appeals to you?
- Have you reviewed what REAL people are saying about the different models? What is the reputation of that model like on the online forums?
- Is it renowned for weakness or breaking parts? Find out.
Questions To Ask And Answer ...
BEFORE You Purchase Your Bicycle Car Racks.
BEFORE You Purchase Your Bicycle Car Racks.
Type Of Use
Popular Manufacturers of Bicycle Car Racks
- CycleSimplex - Specialty bikes
- Rhino Rack